His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince and Prime Minister, today chaired the weekly cabinet meeting at Gudaibiya Palace.
HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister highlighted the importance of building on the ongoing progress and development witnessed in the Kingdom under the leadership of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
Following the conclusion of the fifth legislative term of the Shura and Representatives Council, HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad took the opportunity to recall the late Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa’s many contributions to the Kingdom’s development.
HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister recalled the unprecedented challenges of the global COVID-19 pandemic and noted the Kingdom’s unity, under the leadership of HM the King, to overcome adversity.
His Royal Highness noted the importance of continuing the implementation of the Economic Recovery Plan to bolster the quality of services, particularly health, education, and housing.
HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad added that the Cabinet will soon welcome new members who will bring new ideas and a renewed drive to continue advancing the public sector for the good and development of the country and its citizens.
HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister also expressed his sincere gratitude for the contribution of senior public sector professionals, whose experiences and national contributions have benefited the Kingdom and its citizens in line with His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa’s vision.
The Deputy Prime Minister, HH Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa, then gave an address in which he extended his gratitude, on his and the Cabinet’s behalf to His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa for working alongside senior government officials to serve the Kingdom and its citizens.
HH Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak highlighted the government’s achievements, led by HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister, which have been recognised locally and internationally.
HH Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak recalled the late HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa’s efforts to further the Kingdom’s development, led by His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
The Cabinet highlighted the meeting held between His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa and the Head of the Republic of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council, Major General Dr Rashad Mohammed Al-Alimi, noting its role in strengthening relations between Bahrain and Yemen. The Cabinet reiterated the Kingdom of Bahrain’s support for the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council in carrying out its duties, restoring legitimate authority, and achieving peace, security, stability, and development in Yemen.
The Cabinet commended Team Bahrain for their efforts in advancing the Kingdom’s development goals, which are reflected in the rise of the Bahrain index in several international economic reports, and stressed the importance of continuing to achieve the Kingdom’s wide-ranging development goals.
The Cabinet discussed several memorandums during the meeting with the following outcomes:
The approval of the following memorandums:
- A memorandum by the Ministerial Committee for Legal and Legislative Affairs on a draft cooperation agreement between the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, and Tourism and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) regarding the development of business administration and services in intellectual property offices. The agreement aims to enhance the development of intellectual property in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- A memorandum by the Ministerial Committee for Financial and Economic Affairs and Fiscal Balance regarding a project to expand the sewage treatment plant in North Sitra and the project’s financing options. The project aims to increase the station’s capacity to accommodate the new housing units in East Sitra.
- A memorandum by the Ministerial Committee for Development and Infrastructure Projects regarding a request to approve the implementation of 11 approved developments across various governorates of the Kingdom, in accordance with the provisions of the Expropriation of Land for Public Benefit Law. The memorandum’s purpose is to provide the necessary spaces for urban development.
- A memorandum by the Minister of Finance and National Economy on a draft agreement for the promotion and protection of investment between the Government of the Kingdom of Bahrain and the Government of Japan. The agreement aims to provide an environment that enhances investments between the two countries.
- A memorandum of the Ministerial Committee for Legal and Legislative Affairs regarding the government’s response to six proposals and two law proposals submitted by the Council of Representatives.
The Cabinet reviewed the following topics:
- A memorandum by the Minister of Shura and Representative Council Affairs on the work of the first session of the fifth legislative term, which reflected the positive outcomes of the cooperation between the Executive and Legislative Authorities in the field of legislation and oversight, on various development tracks.
- An internal review that found that 92% of the Cabinet’s decisions were implemented during 2021 and the first half of 2022. In this regard, the Cabinet thanked the ministries and government agencies for their efforts in supporting the strategies and decisions that enhance the efficiency and quality of government services.
The Cabinet took note of Ministerial reports regarding participation in the 116th session of the GCC Financial and Economic Cooperation Committee, the 110th session of the International Labour Conference, and the Second High-Level International Conference on the International Decade for Action titled “Water for Sustainable Development 2018-2028”.